August 16, 2020

on pain of waking

in dreams i know who i am,

limitless, surefooted,

free of pain

i relearn poise

how to hush and hold myself

folded into the flow

it's easy to be wise when 

animals speak and humans don't

no lies are told in dreams

i listen to the deer with human eyes

and see through walls to 

star glitter or sunrise

my shoulders sprout wings

creamy, surprising things, and

even though i never fly in dreams

it's a wonder and comfort

just to feel them there

but every morning,

i'm just me again





2 comments:

  1. "my shoulders sprout wings
    creamy, surprising things..."

    Perfect and delicious. As soon as I read this, I wondered how wings could be otherwise. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      it's funny, though---i have never once had a dream in which i could fly. even with wings!

      Delete

ashes, ashes...

some of the worst days come when we are nostalgic about something we never really had: true love, certainty, time... our memories hold false...